Super Mario Odyssey
Parent Approved Hero10.0/10
Safe for Time and Money8.0/10
- Focus on Safe Fun
- Lovable characters
- Problem solving and puzzles
- Encourages explorations
- Positive messages
- Massive explorable world can take time
The Mario Dynasty Returns
Super Mario Odyssey is an action-adventure game worth buying. You play as Mario, the veteran hero of three decades of video games, as he works to overthrow his age old nemesis Bowser. This game allows free-exploration and adventure for players of all ages.
The game is built around the player’s ability to solve puzzles, overcome obstacles, and save the day. This game is similar in many ways to Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
The Verdict: Safe for Kids
Parent Approved Hero: 10/10
- Mario is a problem solver who uses his brain and his brawn.
- Mario fights against selfish forces (Bowser and his goons) to save princess Peach.
- Mario has a long history of fighting for those who can’t save themselves.
- Violence is not the only answer.
Appropriate Combat: 10/10
- Puzzles, rather than killing, are a major part of the game.
- There is no gore or blood.
- Combat is not the only solution. Often you can run around, jump over, or hide.
- Weapons are very cartoony – even the tanks and rockets have eyes.
Constructive Language: 10/10
- There isn’t any swearing in game.
- An epic storyline allows individual play and enjoyment.
- Mario has a positive attitude and personality.
Spiritually Sound: 10/10
- There aren’t any specific religions, dark forces or other spiritual red flags.
- While violence occurs, it isn’t encouraged or glorified.
Family Safe: 10/10
- +Engaging character stories and colors.
- +No swearing, sex, or gratuitous gore.
- +The story moves at your pace.
- +Problem-solving and creativity are encouraged, and required.
- +Currently there isn’t an online mode.
Safe for Time and Money : 8/10
- Can be beaten in about 20 hours.
- There aren’t micro transactions or purchasable DLC (downloadable content).
- This game is massively expansive: It can be played again, and again, and again.
Positive Message: 10/10
- Mario puts himself in the way of danger to help others.
- Problems can be overcome if you think hard enough.
- You will need to think outside the box…and the hat.
- Exploring and learning can be fun.
- Awesome games can exist without adult content.
Discuss these with your gamer sometime this week. Pick a car ride, a family dinner, or other time together and talk through how the gospel connects to this game.
Q: God is creative (Genesis 1). How do we see aspects of God’s creativity, joy, and adventure in Mario Odyssey?
Q: Jesus shows us what it means to love others by laying our lives down for our friends (John 15:13). How is this reflected in Mario Odyssey?
If you like this game you should check out:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a massive open-world action-adventure game that puts you in control of a daring hero (Link) who sets out to save the world from certain destruction.
This brief trailer gives a pretty good feel for the game:
You can also look over the details of the Video Game Scoring Guide.